- find and connect numbers around your home and neighbourhood – phone numbers, clocks, letterboxes, road signs, signs showing distance
- count forwards and backwards (starting with numbers like 998, 999, 1,000, 1,001, 1,002 then back again)
- make patterns when counting – forwards and backwards, starting with different numbers (73, 83, 93, 103, 113, 123 or 128, 118, 108, 98, 88, 78…)
- explore patterns through drumming, clapping, stamping, dancing
- find out the ages and birth dates of family and whänau
- see patterns in the numbers in their times tables.
- making lunch or a meal for a party or a hui – make sandwiches in different shapes. Can they cut their sandwich in half? Can they cut the other sandwich in half a different way?
- helping at home – choose items to weigh – how many apples/bananas weigh a kilo? Look for the best buy between different makes of the same items (e.g., blocks of cheese
- check on the amount of sugar or salt per serving
- telling the time – o’clock, ½ , ¼ past
- thinking about how many telephone numbers they can remember – talk about what they do to help them remember the series of numbers reading together
- help them look for numbers and mathematics ideas looking for shapes and numbers in newspapers, magazines, junk mail, art (like carvings and sculpture).
- play card and board games that use guessing and checking
- look at junk mail – which is the best value?
- Ask your child what they would buy if they had $10/$100/$1,000 to spend
- do complicated jigsaw puzzles
- cook or bake – use measuring cups, spoons (½ and ¼ teaspoon) and scales
- collect boxes – undo and see if you can make them up again or make it into something else
- make paper darts and change the weight so that they fly differently, work out which is the best design
- create a repeating pattern (e.g., köwhaiwhai patterns) to fill up a page or decorate a card
- play mathematics “I Spy” – something that is ½ a km away, something that has 5 parts
- hide something from each other and draw a map or hide several clues – can you follow the map or the clues and find it?
- do skipping ropes/elastics – how long will it take to jump to 20?